To excel in forensic accounting, you must have a solid understanding of core forensic accounting topics before developing skills in the specialized niche forensic accounting practice areas. Through narration by industry subject matter experts and application exercises, this certificate program covers the areas essential to the planning, performance and reporting for all forensic accounting engagements including evidence identification and gathering, discovery, interview techniques, deposition and testimony, reporting requirements and more.
WHAT IS THE ELIGIBILITY?:
Anyone can obtain the certificates. However, only active CPAs can use the certificate programs as an alternative pathway to obtain the CFF credential.
WHO CAN DO?
• Anyone has foundational knowledge of forensic accounting
• Law Enforcement Officer
• Treasury Agent
• Internal/ Governmental Auditor
• Insurance Loss Prevention Specialist
• Corporate Security Specialist
• Private Investigator
• Fraud Control Specialist
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES?
This certificate program was developed to assist you in customizing your professional development goals in one of the following ways:
Acquiring new skills and earning a certificate in a growing practice area
Learn new skills, enhance your existing competency or take a deep dive into this growing practice area. You’ll gain new comprehension that will allow you to demonstrate your proficiency and stand out among your peers. Earn the certificate by completing the required learning and passing the Core Forensics Knowledge exam. Once you complete the Core Forensic Accounting Certificate, consider earning the Specialized Forensic Accounting Certificate.
WHAT ARE THE LEARNING OUTCOMES?
• Recall and apply the appropriate preliminary procedures and considerations related to engagement and case acceptance
• Identify and analyze potential conflicts of interest
• Determine the appropriateness of different methods used to obtain and collect evidence based on situational characteristics
• Identify the steps and documents commonly used in the custody and preservation process
• Recall ways to identify relevant missing information needed during the discovery process and apply those methods to situational examples
• Recall ways to protect yourself from different types of challenges both as an expert and on information
• Compare and select appropriate communication techniques and proven methodologies for effective investigative interview sessions
• Analyze the signs of verbal and non-verbal deception
• Identify the reporting requirements for expert witnesses
• Differentiate between the applicable professional standards used in different types of reports
WHAT IS THE COURSE STRUCTURE?
There is no formal application process for this certificate program. Interested individuals can purchase the program online.
• Laws, courts and dispute resolution
• Engagement planning and preparation
• Information gathering, preservation and analysis
• Expert reports and testimony
WHAT IS THE COURSE OUTLINE?
• Preliminary engagement procedures
• Forensic engagement acceptance
• Conflicts of interest
• Engagement letter
• Engagement scope
• Staffing and supervision
• Budget planning
• Gathering, organizing, and analyzing information
• Information and evidence gathering
• Client records
• Research tips and tools
• Document and evidence preservation and retention
• Discovery versus gathering evidence
• Interrogatories and admissions
• Document production
• Subpoenas, motions, and expert report review
• Interview plan
• Who is interviewed
• Methods for effective investigative interviews
• Types of interview questions
• Verbal and nonverbal deception
• Parties involved in depositions or trials
• Court cases and rules of evidence applicable to expert testimony
• Opposing attorney motives and objectives
• Cross-examination, redirect, and recross
• Types of reports
• Elements of forensic reports
• Report writing tips
WHAT IS THE EXAM FORMAT?
• Certificate exams can be taken in the convenience of your home or office on your own computer. Since it is a web-based proctored exam, you will be required to have both a microphone and a web camera (either laptop or USB external) connected to your computer. When you schedule your exam, you will be prompted to download a proprietary security program to your computer on which the exam will be presented. You will need administrator rights to load this software on the computer.
• Certificate exams are online and proctored remotely via webcam and audio (either laptop or USB external) anytime 7 days a week throughout the year. If you do not pass the exam the first time, one free re-take is included at no extra charge.
• Within 10 business days of completing the education, you will receive a Notice to Schedule and have the flexibility to schedule the exam(s) at your convenience. The exams are multiple choice.
• Certified Forensic Accountant exams are not open book. The exams are virtually proctored via webcam to prevent using external materials.
DO YOU GET A CERTIFICATE?
You will get a certificate of completion, which is highly reputed and accepted by employers.